Corley Hall, Lexington, SC
This home was built in 1819 by Emmanuel and Catherine Meetze Corley on 102 acres he received for acting as one of the executors of his father, Laurance Corley's , estate; probated in December 1815. After Emmanuel Corley's death in 1834. Catherine deeded this home and the original 102 acres to the Lutheran Theological Seminary; in 1838. The home was then used for classrooms and dormitories until 1858. One the eve of the civil war in 1860, Reverand William Berly, the first graduate from the Seminary when it was located here, purchased the home and the original acreage. He ran a classical female academy directly north of this home until his death in 1871. His son, W. Q. M. Berly married Molly Meetze , a niece of Emmanuel and Catherine Corley. For the next 116 years the home remained inthe Berly family. Several Berly residents were also descendants of Laurance Corley. Laurance Corley received several royal land grants from the King of England. This home, however, is built on the only State of South Carolina land grant of 604 acres; received in 1804. Today this is the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles D. Corley, ninth generation great grandson of Laurance and Christina Corley, also being the ninth generation grand nephew of Emmanuel Corley.
The House is on the national register.
Be sure to visit The Charleston Silver Lady and Lemmon Hill Plantation